This recipe can be used for a breakfast, brunch or a breakfast for supper meal. In our case today, it is a breakfast for supper meal. Silken Tofu can be great to use in dishes like quiches or breakfast casseroles as it can be processed smoothly and bakes up nicely. If this is your first tofu adventure, I would recommend only using one package of tofu. If it isn’t, then this recipe can handle two packages and just double the milk, mustard and salt and pepper.
Sausage, Tofu and Hash Brown Casserole
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 1 bag of frozen hash browns in a 9 by 13 dish and pre-bake the hash browns while you are preparing the rest of the layers.
While hashbrowns are pre-baking, brown in a frying pan:
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage
Then add and salute until soft:
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 grated clove of garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
While the sausage is browning, puree in a food processor or blender:
- 1 pkg firm or extra firm silken tofu
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- salt and pepper
When sausage and onion mixture is cooked, layer over the hash browns:
- tofu mixture
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- the sausage mixture (drained of the fat)
- another 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
Bake for approximately 45 minutes at 375 degrees. Cover with foil to prevent the sausage from browning too much. Let set 10 minutes before serving.
*Note: This would be delicious with mushrooms and peppers sautéed in with the sausage.