This “cake” was created for my daughter’s birthday. Her idea was to have a cookie cake and she wanted the flavour to be red velvet with cream cheese filling. This was definitely a fun baking experiment and she loved it! A very sweet “cake” for a special girl! You may want to slice this thinner than a traditional birthday cake due to the sweetness.
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
Then add in and mix well:
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened yogurt (equal to 3 eggs)
- 2 tsp vanilla
Sift together dry ingredients and add to batter:
- 3 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder + 2 tbsp
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
Mix well and then add:
- 3 tbsp milk
- red food colouring, I use Wilton Vibrant colours and it only takes 4- 5 drops.
Once mixed, add in:
- 1 and 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 and 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
Separate the batter into thirds. Spread each third onto a parchment-lined, 9″ round cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 20-25 minutes. Cool before removing from pans.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 pkg softened cream cheese (250g)
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups icing sugar
Beat together all of the ingredients until fluffy. Decorate the cake layers.